In March, Addictinginfo reported on a dangerous anti-abortion bill being considered by the Republican dominated Kansas House of Representatives. We are now horrified to report that the Kansas House has passed that bill and it now goes to the Senate.
Republicans are poised to make the 69 page bill the most restrictive anti-abortion law in the nation. Among the provisions include:
• A sales tax on all abortions. Even rape victims would have to pay the tax, which could be as high as 6.3%. Despite their objections to millionaires paying more taxes, Republicans feel it’s okay to tax women for making a personal decision about their own bodies. This makes abortion more expensive.
• A personhood measure that would define life as beginning at conception, which would almost certainly make abortion equivalent to murder and outlaw all abortion in the state of Kansas. Many forms of contraception could also be banned.
• A measure that significantly limits abortions in the third trimester.
• A provision that bans women from claiming abortion insurance coverage and services on their taxes.
• Doctors are hereby ordered to tell women that abortion causes breast cancer, which is a damned lie.
• Doctors are also shielded from lawsuits if they withhold critical health information from pregnant women that could cause them to decide to have an abortion. In other words, they don’t have to tell women about the health of the fetus they carry and don’t have to tell women about any problems with the pregnancy.
Such measures would make it nearly impossible for women to get an abortion in the state of Kansas. They would severely restrict a woman’s right to make her own health decisions. And the bill forces women to submit to the will of men. This is by far the most dangerous anti-abortion bill in the country and puts the lives of women in danger. Republicans are declaring that abortion is a cause of cancer despite the fact that real science has proved otherwise, and yet, they are forcing doctors to falsely tell pregnant women that if they get an abortion, cancer could follow, even though many top health organizations have proven that such a connection is a total myth.
The tax is also a major issue in this bill. According to Planned Parenthood this bill could require those who enforce the tax to view the private medical records of women, which would violate medical privacy laws, and could apply a sales tax on contraception. And since poor women are more likely to obtain an abortion, it places a steeper financial burden on that particular group.
Republicans are so obsessed with ending abortion that they are willing to lie to women to scare them from having one and are willing to tax them and pry into their private medical records. It’s despicable and totally unethical. This is nothing but a persecution and proves without a shadow of a doubt which party is really trying to create a big tyrannical government. None of this bill is being voted on by the people of Kansas. It’s being forced upon them by a group of conservative extremists who want to control the reproductive choices of women. If this bill passes the Senate, Governor Brownback has already stated that he will sign it, even though he hasn’t read it. And when he signs it, it will be crystal clear which state in America women should steer clear of at all costs if they want to keep their privacy and personal liberty.