In the course of commentary after last night’s presidential debate, the topic arose that, without Ohio, Mitt Romney will likely lose the Presidency. Obama can eke by without Ohio if he does well in other states, but – let me emphasize – Romney’s outlook is quite dim without Ohio.
The President is maintaining a narrowing lead in Ohio, but Republican-led vote suppression continues to unfold in a multi-pronged, coordinated approach. Last night, the news broke that another Republican-led election board, this time in Ottawa County, Ohio, mailed incorrect voting instructions to several precincts, giving an election date of Nov. 8 and wrong directions to the polling location.
Jerid Kurtz, a spokesman for the Ohio Democratic Party, said the errors were “deeply troubling” and called for the Ottawa County Election Board to review all its correspondence with voters from the past year.
Ohio is not the only state where Republican election officials have sent false and misleading information to voters. Just last week, Arizona’s Maricopa County listed the wrong election date – ONLY on the Spanish-language version of voter registration cards.
Coincidental? Should I bore you with more instances of unabashed Republican-backed vote suppression?
Let’s just stick with Ohio for now:
- Republican officials have curtailed early voting hours in Democratic-leaning districts, including Cleveland, Columbus, Akron and Toledo, opening the polls only between 8 am and 5 pm on weekdays, when people are at work. However, Republican-heavy counties have actually expanded early voting hours on nights and weekends. (See graph at top.)
- Then there’s the Republican Secretary of State, Jon Husted, who not only supported voting hour restrictions just in Democratic counties, but he also chose to ignore a court ruling requiring the state to reinstate early voting privileges on the weekend and Monday before the election.
- Republican election officials in Ohio also sought to throw out any provisional ballots that registered voters cast in the wrong precinct. They fought that battle to suppress the vote all the way to the U.S. Court of Appeals in Cincinnati, which ruled that they must count valid votes cast in the wrong precinct.
All this really seems to be adding up, right? And the electoral fraud doesn’t stop there. What we are witnessing is not a series of serendipitous accidents for the GOP. It’s deliberate. This presidential race appears to be neck-and-neck; despite the Republican presidential candidate’s lack of any real, consistent platform, nearly half of Americans are expected to vote for him. And, ultimately, the race will likely be won by tiny margins…based on voting access in precincts in Ohio.
Don’t forget, if people don’t wake up and commit to vote (for the candidate with the best judgment), then Romney and his Koch-associated cronies may still have a back-up plan: Control over the Ohio vote count.
Some say it’s “conspiracy theory” to think Republicans would rig the election (again). However, it’s just too coincidental that the electronic voting machines that Romney’s son and business associates own are in Hamilton County (Cincinnati) of all places, one of the 10 national counties expected to decide the election, in the state expected to decide the election, no less.
And, as Joseph Stalin once said: “The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.”
The only antidote for corruption is truth and action, so SHARE AND VOTE. Thank you.
P.S. If you are still undecided about Obama’s control of the U.S. economy, <–get the facts.
For more recent Addicting Info coverage of GOP voter repression efforts in Ohio, see:
- October 16th: Supreme Court Hands A Win To Ohio Voters And Obama
- October 18th: Ohio Defying Court Intent On Early Voting — Intimidation Billboards In Black Neighborhoods
- October 19th: WTF? Tagg Romney Is Now Proud Owner Of Ohio’s Voting Machines
- October 20th: Sign The Petition, Demand Attorney General Eric Holder Investigate Tagg Romney Ohio Voting Machines
- October 22nd: Chuck Todd Claims Voting Machine Hacking The Same As Birtherism
Want More? Read “Obama Slam-Dunks Foreign Policy Debate – Read Best Romney Rebukes Here”