In the coming days, a creationist conspiracy theorist who thinks President Obama is a gay prostitute, could be in a position to rewrite school textbooks and decide what is taught in class.
Mary Lou Bruner has promised voters that, if elected to the State Board of Education in Texas, she will “promote conservative curriculum standards aligned with Texas values.” The problem is, a quick look at what Bruner considers ‘Texas Values’ make the proposition of putting her in a place to shape young minds utterly terrifying.
Among Bruner’s regular Facebook rants, she has claimed that:
- President Obama has “a soft spot for homosexuals because of the years spent as a male prostitute in his twenties.”
- Climate change is a government “hoax”
- Dinosaurs became extinct after leaving Noah’s Ark due to the lack of vegetation remaining after the Great Flood. She explains her logic: “Most of the dinosaur fossils which scientists have found are permanently preserved in positions of great distress as if they were trying to keep their heads above water or above the mud.”
- School shootings “started after the schools started teaching evolution.”
- “Many of the (sex ed) books which teachers read to your small children are not allowed in jails and prisons because of the bad effect the books have on the prisoners.”
- The Democratic Party assassinated JFK because “the socialists and Communists in the party did not want a conservative president”
- Muslims and Islam should be outlawed in America, saying: “USA should ban Islam and stop all immigration. from Muslim countries because Islam’s stated goal is to conquer the USA and kill the infidels.”
- The United Nations exists to deliver a New World Order and will use mass extermination events to shrink the world population by two thirds.
These are just the highlights. Statements that, in any right-thinking world would preclude a person from being elected to a position of authority within the State education system. Sadly, this is not the case in Texas.
Far from being some outsider, no-chance candidate, she has been endorsed by none other than the Former Chairman of the Texas State Board of Education Gail Lowe, and a raft of others. She won 48 percent of the vote in the GOP primary on Tuesday, putting her well-above her opponents. She’ll now face a run-off election, and she’ll likely win.
Bruner has every chance of being allowed a say in what goes in our children’s textbooks and what they are taught in class. This racist, anti-gay, anti-science conspiracy theorist might very soon have a central role in shaping the minds of young Americans. If that doesn’t care you, nothing will.
Featured Image via Campaign Website