A video has been circulating purporting to show an elderly woman being knocked down by people protesting an Americans for Prosperity event. AFP, of course, being one of several “grassroots” political action groups created by the Koch brothers. There is, indeed, a woman (there’s two, actually) knocked to the ground and there are, indeed, protesters around her when it happens. Here is the “damning” video:
Looks pretty bad. Looks like those protesters might have pushed Grandma down the stairs like the video claims. These are the top two comments on the video against the protesters:
“Listen you asshole, these fuckers are protesting a Private Meeting of Private Citizens and now Private Citizens are getting hurt. It’s time to PUSH BACK! This is disgusting.”
“FUCK THESE PEOPLE!!! ITS TIME TO BUST SOME SKULLS!”
Wow! They’re really worked up about those Occupy savages! Of course, the funny thing about the Occupy protests is that there are a zillion cameras all over the place (zillion is a very technical term, I know). Here’s that very same incident but from a rather more revealing angle:
Well that paints a whole different story, doesn’t it? That’s not a bunch of drugged out hippies knocking an old lady over, that’s a one percenter (whom I shall Call Mr. Comb-Over until I get his name) getting fed up with the peasants, shoving his way through the old lady. Now an irresponsible person would suggest that he intentionally knocked her over to get away from the filthy mob. I find that extremely unlikely. Rather, it looks to me like Mr. Comb-Over lost his temper and tried to get himself and the woman out of the crowd and did a spectacularly poor job of it.
What about the other woman? The one that fell down the stairs? She was also a victim of Mr. Comb-Over. As he shoved he way out of the crowd, he forced people back and that ripple knocked the second woman down the stairs. How can I be sure?
You can clearly see her legs in the background of the second video at :15 right in the middle at the top of the screen. She was at the back of the crowd when this imperious twit shoved the first woman over and was knocked down at the same time. If you listen you’ll here a bunch of protesters yelling “Whoa, whoa, whoa!” as they fell. A protester was one the first people to come to the first woman knocked overs’ aid. This is not the response of a violent mob.
On the other hand, there’s THIS tough guy. Again, another one percenter offended by the presence of peasants, he grabs and shoves the little people in his way until one of his handlers tells him to calm down.
Just to top it all off, two protesters got hit by a car and, again, the driver was released without so much as a ticket. It’s unclear if the driver had anything to do at all with the Americans for Prosperity dinner.
So, for all the hype about how “violent” Occupy DC was, the only violence to be seen was perpetrated by the 1% and whoever the driver of that car was. Some by accident, some by dint of being a rich entitled douchebag. And yet, Occupy DC and the rest of the 99% will continue to be portrayed as the savages.
After all, when the rich hurt people, it’s OK because they’re rich. The rest of us are just collateral damage.