After it was reported that the heirs of Walmart were worth the same amount as the bottom 40 percent of Americans, you probably thought there couldn’t possibly be anymore reasons to hate the colossal seller of crappy merchandise. Paying its Chinese workers a nickel-an-hour to make more Snuggies and making its octogenarian greeters stand for hours in order to say hello to shoppers who belch and fart in their direction is really appalling, but that it reaps the biggest benefits from the food stamp program–the evil socialist program that dares to allow working families to eat something other than discarded paint chips, and the very program that Republicans smear and want to destroy–truly ups the ante.
Here’s a closer look at how your favorite seller of lawn bag potato chips is blatantly exploiting tax-payer funded programs:
- Walmart’s intentionally low wages force employees to need approximately $420,000 per year, per store, totalling $2.66 BILLION annually in food stamps and other taxpayer assistance…to survive.
- Walmart’s intentionally low wages cost the country HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars in payroll tax deductions for Federal, State, and Local taxes.
- Walmart’s intentionally low wages cost our communities the ability to hire and retain important public service workers like firefighters, police officers, maintenance workers, and teachers.
- Walmart’s intentionally low wages cost our communities with their increased need for those same public services they are underfunding.
- Walmart’s intentionally low wages and lack of covered benefits cost taxpayers over $1.02 BILLION a year in healthcare costs.
- Walmart’s intentionally low wages cost taxpayers as much as $225 MILLION in free and reduced price lunches for school-age children.
- Walmart’s intentionally low wages cost taxpayers over $780 MILLION in tax deductions for low-income families.
Michael is a comedian/VO artist/Columnist extraordinaire, who co-wrote an award-nominated comedy, produces a chapter of Laughing Liberally, wrote for NY Times Laugh Lines, guest-blogged for Joe Biden, and writes a column for MSNBC.com affiliated Cagle Media. Follow him on Twitter and Facebook, Youtube, and like NJ Laughing Liberally Lab, Seriously, follow him or he’ll send you a photo of Rush Limbaugh bending over in a thong.