Cops Who Killed Autistic First Grader Arrested for Murder, One Had Prior Indictment for Rape

Two Louisiana police officers were arrested on Friday evening for the murder of a six-year-old child and the attempted murder of his father. One of the officers had previously been indicted for rape.


Jeremy Mardis, 6, was shot five times in his head and his torso by officers on Tuesday around 9:30 PM. His father, Chris Few, was also shot and is in critical condition. He has undergone surgery for a gunshot wound to his head. As many as 18 bullets are believed to have been fired by the officers.

On Friday evening, it was announced that Officers Derrick Stafford, 32, and Norris Greenhouse, 23, had been arrested for second-degree murder and second-degree attempted murder.

In 2011, Stafford was indicted by a grand jury on two counts of aggravated rape.

At the press conference, Louisiana State Police Col. Mike Edmonson stated:

“Jeremy didn’t deserve to die like this.”

He also commented on the body camera footage from the scene, saying:

“It is the most disturbing thing I’ve seen, and I’ll leave it at that.”

At a previous news conference on Thursday, Edmonson announced that no gun was found in Few’s vehicle, despite early reports implying that there had been an exchange of gunfire.

Officers initially claimed that Few was being pursued over warrants; however, he did not have any open warrants.

The officers had also originally claimed that Few repeatedly backed into the marshal’s vehicle while attempting to flee, and that has also turned out to not be the case. Edmonson stated on Thursday that there is no evidence this happened.

Four officers were involved in the shooting that took the little boy’s life, but strangely, three of them were moonlighting as Ward 2 City Marshals, despite concerns from the mayor and Marksville police chief about jurisdiction issues. The fourth officer had came from the Marksville Police Department after being called for back up.

Greenhouse works full time for the Alexandria City Marshal and Stafford works full time for the Marksville Police Department, but both were on duty as marshals at the time of the shooting.

Samantha Few, Mardis’ grandmother who saw her young grandson’s body in the seat of the vehicle when she arrived at the scene told local station WAFB in a statement:

“He was diagnosed with autism when he was 2. He loved everyone he met and they loved him. As far as what caused his death, the only thing I have been told is he died from gunshot wounds. He didn’t deserve what happened. He wouldn’t hurt a fly.”

The grieving grandmother, who the child and his father lived with, also called the first-grader “a special gift from God.”

Featured Image via Twitter